HOME

Founded in 1830, the New Bedford Port Society maintains the historic Seamen’s Bethel and Mariner’s Home located on the top of Johnny Cake Hill in the New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park. Serving the maritime community for over 175 years, the Seamens’ Bethel is also the site of dozens of weddings, christenings and memorial services each year.

 

The 1956 film adaptation of Herman Melville’s novel Moby-Dick was directed by John Huston with a screenplay by Ray Bradbury and the director. The film starred Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab and Orson Welles as Father Mapple.